Friday, November 15, 2013

At last... Surfacing for air!

Hello friends!

It has been two months since my arrival in Colorado to begin work as a missionary with Camp Wojtyla... and what a FULL two months they have been. Full of work, yes-- but also full of joy, settling in, and the Lord's ever-present goodness.

I miss home so much-- indeed, with each passing day I appreciate my family, my friends, my Catholic community at Auburn, even my old apartment, more and more-- but I also see how God is providing opportunities to be rooted here in Colorado. Everything is new: my home, my roommates, my routine, my community... and I am truly learning what it means to (try to!) not be afraid of God's surprises.

Since it has been so long (much longer than I intended!) between updates, here are some highlights of my time here:

My teammate, Keenan and I were certified as Wilderness First Responders (WFRs) in a 10-day course in Hygiene, CO.

Reviewing lightning safety in the
 greatest classroom.

Really doesn't get better than this!
A rescue helicopter flew to our class so we
could learn helicopter protocol!

This course involved a lot
of fake blood...
WFR Graduates!

Every evening we drove home toward this.
And one morning, I woke up to this!
But actually, Colorado has a lovely fall.
Lots of yellow!
 That WFR course was hard work, so I decompressed by going to a Great Gatsby themed ballroom dance with some friends.
Micah, a past counselor, and
Kayla, one of my roommates and
 a past Camp W missionary!
 Camp Wojtyla hosted an Mother-Daughter retreat weekend in Crested Butte, CO. It was an opportunity for past campers and their moms to come together, share the Camp experience, exercise the artistic genius of women, and be surrounded by some beautiful mountain vistas!

Some of the Moms and Daughters at the beautiful
home of a couple who hosted us for
an afternoon of crafts!
Some of the incredible mothers from whom I
learned SO MUCH!
Pretty much a dream! :)
On the way back home, Annie and I
stopped to snap a picture of me at the
 continental divide!
 And, of course, I would be remiss not to mention our 2 1/2 week, 5,000 mile staff recruitment road trip. We had the opportunity to speak at seven campuses across the nation about our Summer Leadership and Mission opportunity as a Camp Counselor! We visited campuses where we have counselor alumni, so we never lacked in a place to lay our heads, and experienced the most exceptional, self-giving hospitality. Since the road trip, we have had 200 college students express interest in applying for Summer 2014!

Our route!
Yes, it was a lot of driving.
No, we did not kill each other. 

My companions on the road-- Keenan and
Elizabeth (who "retired" from full time
staff following this trip!)

Look who we found when we were
 visiting Mount Saint Mary's
in Maryland! JP II, we love you!
Summer 2014 Counselor Courtney at
Franciscan University of Steubenville!
Summer 2013/2014 Counselor and
Seminarian Michael at Notre Dame!
We've been home from the trip for a week, and I am taking this time to breathe, plan, and prepare for the massive undertaking of interviewing and hiring our summer staff, helping the camper registration process, and preparing for the summer program (yes, already!)

On that note... camper registration is NOW OPEN! I am so excited about the interest already shown... our summer camps are already 1/4 full, so I recommend registering now if you are hoping to attend (or send your child to) Camp Wojtyla 2014!

Under the Mercy,

Blessed JP II... Pray for Us!

1 comment:

  1. I love all the pictures but they make me miss you sooooo much!!!

    Love you little Patrick Sunshine <3

    ReplyDelete